Tuesday, 31 December 2013
Thursday, 26 December 2013
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Book
Publication Date: 27th September 2011 & 28th February 2013
Genre: Young Adult (Paranormal)
Source: Bought (Bookalicious)
Pages: 466 pages & 544 pages
Summary: Unbecoming of Mara Dyer = Mara Dyer doesn’t think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.It can.She believes there must be more to the accident she can’t remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.There is.She doesn’t believe that after everything she’s been through, she can fall in love. She’s wrong. [Goodreads]
Evolution of Mara Dyer = Mara Dyer knows she isn't crazy. She knows that she can kill with her mind, and that Noah can heal with his. Mara also knows that somehow, Jude is not a hallucination. He is alive. Unfortunately, convincing her family and doctors that she's not unstable and doesn't need to be hospitalised isn't easy. The only person who actually believes her is Noah. But being with Noah is dangerous and Mara is in constant fear that she might hurt him. She needs to learn how to control her power, and fast! Together, Mara and Noah must try and figure out exactly how Jude survived when the asylum collapsed, and how he knows so much about her strange ability...before anyone else ends up dead![Goodreads]
I have heard a lot of good things about this series in the booktube community and also among book bloggers. After watching plenty of book hauls that included this series, I thought to myself "I NEED TO HAVE THAT BOOK!". There is also a blurb by Cassandra Clare writer of the Infernal Devices and The Mortal Instruments which both series that I love. So, I trust Clare's judgement and went on buying both books at the local bookstore. I read both books in 2 days!!
It is sooooooooo engaging, mysterious and I can't put both books down. It was a crazy reading experience for me. Mara is not crazy but the people around her think that she is fragile and disturbed mentally after an accident happened to her. In the first book, she tries hard not to act like a crazy person when she sees something weird or that she cannot explain. She tries to convince the people around her that she is okay so that they won't stop looking at her like she'll passed out in any second. In the second book, Mara begins to doubt herself because a 'ghost' from her past is haunting her and her family still treat her like she is going to burst because of an episode in the first book. I like her character though she is a bit whiny but I can understand that she is trying hard to prove to everyone that she is not crazy.
Then there's Noah who I love and WANT for myself. He is very understanding and goes along with Mara. We can see that he loves her and will do anything for her. He is a rich kid but does not have his father's love. So he concentrate his time to help Mara solve the mysteries in her life. But something happened to Noah at the end of book 2 that makes me want 'Retribution of Mara Dyer' book three of the series, in my hand like right this second! The story line hooked me and the mystery of it really made me felt intrigued while reading and I just want to continue reading the book without stopping. It makes me go crazy with Mara.
Saturday, 21 December 2013
2014 is just around the corner and I have this resolution to enter a few reading challenges for the year 2014. Though it is hard to say if am able to keep up with it but I guess, I'll never know until I try. Since I have tons of books in my TBR pile, I thought that this reading challenge is the right one for me. At the same time, it will give me a bigger reason to post entries on this blog.
This challenge will run from Jan 1, 2014 - Dec 31, 2014.
Anyone can enter! You don't have to be a blogger, as long as you review the book you've read! (On your blog, Amazon, Random Buzzers or Goodreads/Shelfari!)
Any genre, length or format of book counts, as long as it is a book that's been sitting on your shelf for some time now. Short stories and novellas are OK, too! Only books released in 2013 and earlier! NO 2014 ARCs and 2014 fresh-off-the-press releases allowed!
You can list your books in advance or just put them in a wrap-up post. If you list them, feel free to change them as the mood takes you.
When you sign up in the linky, put the direct link to your post about joining the 2013 TBRPILE Reading Challenge. (If you don't have a blog, post about it on Facebook or Tweet!)
You can move up levels, but no moving down.
Sign-ups will be open until Dec 15, 2014, so feel free to join at any time throughout the year.
On the 20th of each month we will post a wrap-up post, here, on BOOKISH. Every wrap-up will have it's unique theme, a mini-challenge, a giveaway and place for you to link up your reviews from this month. For each review you link up, you will get one entry in a drawing of one book of choice from Book Depository. It's open to INTERNATIONALS. The giveaway will be open until the next wrap up post goes up! (i.e. the entire month)
If you miss a wrap-up post + giveaway, you can link up your reviews next month. Do not, however, try to link up one review twice - we will be checking ;)
December is a wrap-up for the whole year. All the book reviews you linked up January-November + the ones you'll link up in December will be entered into a GRAND PRIZE giveaway.
You don't have to follow Bookish Blog to join the challenge, but you do have to follow us to be entered in giveaways!
I am not going to be an over-achiever in aiming for the level as I think 2014 will be a busy a year for me. So I'll aim to read about 1 book from my TBR pile per month.
1-10 - A Firm Handshake
11-20 - A Friendly Hug
21-30 - First Kiss
31-40 - Sweet Summer Fling
41-50 - Could this be love?
50+ - Married With Children
I hope I'll be able to reach my goal!
Tuesday, 17 December 2013
Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This week’s topic is Ten New-To-Me Authors I read in 2013
1. Jennifer L. Armentrout - I have read Obsidian and Onyx book 1 and 2 from the Lux Series and looking forward to finish the series.
2. Ally Carter - I picked up Heist Society because of the cover and the summary seems interesting.
3. Richelle Mead - I am currently reading 'Blood Promise' book 4 of the Vampire Academy. I know I am late on the Vampire Academy bandwagon but better late than never right?
4. Miranda Kenneally - I read 'Catching Jordan' on my kindle early this year and found that Kinneally's books are light contemporary books that you will enjoy reading after a tough or tiring day. I also have read the companion novel witch is 'Stealing Parker' and I enjoyed it. I have Racing Savannah as my to be read book after I finish with the Vampire Academy series.
5. Marie Lu - 'Legend' was an awesome experience and I want to continue with Prodigy. The third book Champion is out and I cannot wait to read it and finish the series.
6. Michelle Hodkin - Unbecoming of Mara Dyer and Evolution of Mara Dyer are my favourite books of 2013. I saw these two books in everyone's book haul on youtube. So, I thought I should give it a try and I never regretted it.
7. Sarah J. Maas - Throne of Glass and The Crown of Midnight are verrrrryyyyy gooood books to read if you want to read about awesome and badass female character. Celaena is my favourite character of all time!
8. Susan Dennard - Something Strange and Deadly is a fun and interesting read for me and I am thinking of buying the second book 'A Darkness Strange and Lovely'
9. Rainbow Rowell - I love Eleanor and Park!! I picked it up because of all the hype over this book and I loved it! Rowell really has a way of writing a story that makes me cannot put her book down.
10. Kiera Cass - I discovered her books through endless viewing of book hauls and reviews on youtube. I like her writing and cannot wait for the third book 'The One' from her Selection series to come out.
So it has been a while since my last post. I blame myself for being so lazy to update this blog and also I blame my internet connection which is currently being the slowest connection ever. But luckily it does not dampen my enthusiasm to blog today.
Here in Malaysia, we have this massive annual books sale which is called 'Big Bad Wolf'. I think it started in 2009 or 2010, I am not quite sure. The books are as low as RM 5 and that is consider veryyyyyyyyyyyy cheap here. YA books are like RM 8 per book and it is a heaven for avid readers. They have books of different genre such cookery,travel,young adult,junior readers,malay,motivational,parenting and many more.I love this sale because I can go crazy and people will not judge me and it also helps in increasing Malaysians reading habit. Even my sister who likes to read only manga and comics bought chick-lit novels. So here are some of the photos that I 'borrow' from the Big Bad Wolf Facebook page. Ohhh and this year they did a 230hours straight sale from 6/12/2013 until 15/12/2013 non stop. Crazy right??
These are the books that I bought and paid for only RM160 for 20 books!
I regretted that I only went once unlike last year where I got to go for like 3 times because they stocked different books everyday once some books has finished. But it is OKAY cause I'll be there next year!